As we set up our base camp, I am filled with the excitement of what lies ahead. I know it will be hard. I have seen two teams leave from Ama Dablam, unable to summit because of adverse snow conditions and weather. Somehow, that excites me more. Cory and I ration out
the number of ramen noodles and oatmeal packages we will need to get us through the next few days. We add in a couple Snickers bars and a couple of cans of tuna, and off we go.
The climbing will take us from base camp to advanced base camp about 3000 feet higher, and then on to the talus slope that is Camp 1. We plan to spend one night at Camp 1 before moving onto the technical terrain between 1 and 2. It is mostly steep rock climbing up to a VERY small ledge (it can only hold a few tents) at Camp 2 (about 20,000 feet). From Camp 2, our plan is to rest for one day and, if the weather is good, summit the next morning from Camp 2, skipping the higher Camp 3 (which sits below an ice serac). It will be a long, hard summit day, starting in the dark hours, but if all goes well, we will be on the summit at sunrise. The climbing here is extraordinarily beautiful, so even if the summit eludes us, this is sure to be a challenging and beautiful climb.
Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.