Shop Eddie Bauer: Men Women Kids Outerwear Gear Sale
First Ascent Team Avoids Storm, Returns to Union Glacier
Posted on January 18, 2011

Story and photos by Jake Norton

With a bright sun and bright hopes, we packed eagerly this morning at Vinson Basecamp. Only a few wispy clouds were visible, and we were all excited to be dropped by Twin Otter in a new place to make the first tracks on an unknown peak. As we zipped our duffels, the whining of the Otter’s engines rattled through camp, and the pilot, Monica, soon touched down on the snowy runway.

She brought bad news: Another weather system was moving in, and the forecast called for the storms to close in—shutting down all flights in this vicinity—by tomorrow night. Time to change plans; it would be imprudent to be dropped on a remote glacier with a major weather system bearing down. So we decided to fly by some predetermined spots and, if things looked good, get dropped, climb through the night, and zip out before the weather stranded us.

Soon we were aloft, saying goodbye to our friends at Vinson base camp and zipping around Vinson, Shinn, Epperly, and the other giants of the Sentinel Range. Then, on we went toward Union Glacier … and more change. With every passing minute, clouds on the horizon built up. Thirty-five minutes into the trip, it was obvious that this storm system was a big one, bearing down fast. If we got dropped down, there was a good chance Monica would not be able to get back in tomorrow to pick us up. And, the latest news was this storm could be 5-6 days. A biggie.

Sadly, our hand was forced, and we made the prudent decision: land back at Union Glacier camp and hope to be able to zip out in some reasonable weather in the next couple of days to do some climbing, skiing, and filming.

Audio dispatch by Peter Whittaker

Author: - Tuesday, January 18th, 2011
TAGGED:

Write A Comment

Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.